General Lit Battle RP Structure

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General Lit Battle RP Structure

Post by Rein on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:47 pm

Hello everyone, now that the first battle has broken out I thought I would explain some of the reasoning and rules of standard lit battle RP so that there is no confusion.

Step one, setting the scene.

This is a very important step, if you don't clarify what is in the area you are in, where it is, how big it is, and what motions it goes through then it is very difficult to role play. Just like if the manor had no defined shape at all, it would be hard to go from your bedroom to the lounge since there is no road laid out to get there that is known by everyone.

With this in mind, try giving either a picture with a key, or laid out map of the area to make sure everyone knows the relative size and placement of the place you are battling. It can mean the difference between avoiding an attack or smashing yourself into a wall and getting damage.

Step two, set the reality.

Are you in a world that allows magic? Are you in a place with substances that react to heat or other factors? Are you in a place where people can breathe in space and not expand until they explode? All these things are very important when setting the reality of the scene. If you are fighting in space, it is a good idea to know whether or not taking off your space suit would kill you, or if something else would happen entirely. These are good things to know when fighting, otherwise there are no laws of physics, or anything else, it is simply chaos, and while chaos is fun, in a fight it means something that will never end.

Step three, character information sharing.

Is your character made of ice? If so will he melt at a certain temperature? Character specifics are good to know at the start. What kinds of fighting styles do they know? What weapons can they use? This is important information, you do not want your opponent to pick up a piece of metal and be able to use it as a master dagger user, or grab an axe and be able to use it as well as his fist, these things take training and time to learn, in a solid reality no one person can know every weapon and method so be specific.

Characteristics are important to, does your character have long ears? Do they have a tail? Do they have limbs twice the size of their torso? These are good things to know. If you have pinned your opponent against the wall and stab at him, do you want to know that he can sprout wings and fly or not? You want to know this information, so that when it happens, it doesn't just seem like he altered his character.

Knowledge, you want to know what your opponent knows, so that if you say something secret to your partner in French, and your opponent suddenly knows what you are going to do, that there is a reason for it. Otherwise it seems like god modding. If your character knows something, state it in their profile, and if you didn't, don't add it later and say you forgot, these things are like cheating in a video game by getting infinite lives.

Step four, explaining an action

Now the battle has begun, you want to harm your opponent with a sword that you have. How do you do it? Lit Battle RP is very close to just Lit RPing, you just have to answer a few simple questions during your post to make sure you are expressing what you want to do correctly.

What do you want to do? "I want to swing my sword at the enemy."

How will you do it? "I will use both hands to swing the sword over my head and down at the enemy."

When will it happen? "I am far away from him so it will take a few seconds for the slice to get to him through the air."

Why can your sword send flying slices through the air? "Because my sword sends out energy in the direction it is sliced in, I made sure that it says so in my profile about his weapon before the fight."

Where will it hit? "In the exact area I sliced and going forward until it hits a solid object, the slice through the air does not grow as it travels, otherwise I would have said so in the description of my profile."

Answering these questions makes sure that your opponent, the Admin of the area you are battling in, and others watching can make sense of what is going on, and know that it is all going according to the reality, and setting of the scene and character descriptions. You have to remember that it cannot just make sense to you, the Admin, and your opponent have to be able to understand what you are doing accurately too.

Step five, dodging.

This has always been an issue in Lit and non Lit Battle RPs, how to know if you can or cannot dodge an attack. This was mostly left up to the players, but there are times that experienced Battle RPers have an advantage just in general knowledge than their opponent. Because of this, "unavoidable" attacks came to exist. An unavoidable attack is made up two things, the placement of objects and walls in the scene, and the placement of the characters.

A good example of an unavoidable is if two people are fighting in a hallway that is six feet high three feet across, and eight feet long. If person A moves forward, and person B moves back against the wall an attack by person A that covers the entire area of the hallway ahead of them is unavoidable, person B will be hit no matter what they do.

If you want to avoid something, and it is physically possible for your character to do in the reality, scene, and character description for you to avoid it, you can, but you have to think of a realistic way that you can dodge it.

Such as, if your opponent avoids your attack by bending their spine backwards in a 90 degree angle this is a foul, unless it says in their profile that their character does either not have a spine, or can move like that for a reasonable reason, then it cannot be done.

Step six, Magic.

Magic is a very hard thing to regulate, and does not have a standard ruling to it. As long as the Admin of the area you are fighting in knows and allows the kind of magic you are using you can use it.

Just be aware that the reality you have set before the fight applies, if you do magic that consumes a room in fire remember that it will also burn up all the oxygen too, both characters may die unless one does not need to breathe or there is an open window. if two spells collide it is up to the Admin to decide what happens, unless there is a reaction to a spell that would decide what happens.

Example: If you cast a spell that eats magical energies, and your enemy casts a spell of fire, the fire would disappear.

Step seven, Back up your actions and reactions with facts.

Example: Person A has a sword and swings at you, you avoid an attack by just barely avoiding the tip of the blade, and Person A suddenly says that your stomach was cut open.

What happened?

Always back up what actions and reactions occur during your fight with already written down facts. If you just sliced your opponent open without actually hitting them there had better be a good reason. If we look at Person A's profile it says under their weapon that it also cuts the air and substance one foot further than the blade goes because of an enchantment placed on it.

Indeed you were cut both you, your opponent, and the Admin can look at their profile information on Person As character and their weapon and see why you were cut.

If that information is not there, do not feel bad or slighted when someone says you are wrong.

Example: Person A does not have in their profile that their character can use a sword. During a fight Person A's character picks up a sword and delivers a crushing blow with a sword technique passed down from his father.

This is a foul. Even if their father did teach them the technique, it does not say that they can use a sword, so they could not pull off such a maneuver the first time they pick one up.

You talk to Person A and tell them that they cannot do that and ask them to edit their post. If they refuse, go to the Admin of the area and get their decision on the matter. They will make sure that the fight is fair to both parties.

Step eight, Time

As a general rule, in Lit Battle RPs you are describing your action in the time of one second.

Why is that? Because time does not stop, if you cast a spell that requires you to chant for five minutes your enemy is not just going to sit there while you do it. Make sure that if you want to do something that takes time, you do not do it in one post, forcing your enemy to be frozen in time and not be able to react is a foul.

Example: Person A chants a spell that has three sentences of text. In the same post sends it at you as it's being cast. Generally it takes someone at least 5 to 7 seconds to read off three sentences, you have just forced your enemy into being frozen for that amount of time.

Try to be conscious of how long your actions take, speech is generally a bad idea in a fight as it takes time, if you take too long to talk, and your enemy stabs you while you were talking, you may not be able to disagree with that.

Step nine, The Admin is God.

If you disagree with the Admin that something should happen that didn't, or that they decide what you did is a foul, too bad. The Admin of the room determines the overall reality of the scene and what is and is not possible for each character.

If you disagree, the Admin has the right to end a fight or kill a character and ban it's player. Always remember that if you can't back up your actions and reactions with facts that you have publicly posted about your character, the Admin has the right to refuse your post and make it a foul.

Rein

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top